A Rationalised Method for Granting Affiliation to Instituitions: An Analytic Hierarchy Process Approach

By Alka Kulkarni, Narasimha Ayachit and M.S. Moodithaya.

Published by Journal of the World Universities Forum

Format Price
Article: Print $US10.00
Article: Electronic $US5.00

In developing countries, like India, the education system has expanded phenomenally. For example, today, India churns out over 2.5 million graduates each year, standing third, only next to USA and China. With the growing demand for higher education, the major development in higher education has lead to the quantitative expansion of institutions. But, the fact remains, only 1% of student population gets exposed to quality education. The remaining 99% of students get enrolled in low ranking colleges and universities, as a result of which many students after graduation/post graduation find it extremely difficult to get jobs. These facts make the task of administration of the education system more critical and challenging. The first step of putting a proper education system into place is to grant affiliation only to those institutions which are inclined towards disseminating quality education. The process of affiliating an institution as on today seems to be subjective in nature. Though the subjective analysis cannot be done away completely, this paper proposes an objective method of analysis by using a modified version of Analytical Hierarchy Process. It is important to understand the higher education process to identify the important quality parameters to be focused upon for grant of affiliation. The various parameters that are considered for grant of affiliation to an institution are broadly - land, infrastructure (laboratories, administrative area. etc.), faculty, library facilities Amenities etc., each with several sub parameters with varying importance. In the main parameter ‘Infrastructure’ the sub parameters like building, amenities, etc., have varying importance. All the parameters though necessary are not equally important. The Analytical Hierarchy Process tries to bring out the relative importance of these parameters and enables to objectively evaluate an institution. The working of the methodology has been demonstrated with an example.

Keywords: Affiliation, Quality Parameters, Analytical Hierarchy Process

Journal of the World Universities Forum, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.107-126. Article: Print (Spiral Bound). Article: Electronic (PDF File; 2.075MB).

Alka Kulkarni

Assisstant Professor, Department of Bisiness Administration, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum (deputed from Gogte Institute of Technology,Belgaum), Karnataka, India

Alka is a Management post-graduate and her field of interests are Quality issues in higher education and administration of education systems. She is on deputation from KLS Gogte Institute of Technology to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, where she is working as Asst. Professor in the post-graduate department of MBA.

Dr. Narasimha Ayachit

Professor of Physics, Center for Engineering Education & Education Research, B.V.B. College of Engineering & Technology, Hubli, Hubli, Karnataka, India

Dr. N.H. Ayachit has his Doctoral degree in Physics. He has a teaching experience of 23 years and he is carrying out his research in the areas of technical education, microwaves, spectroscopy etc. Presently he is working as Professor in the department of Physics at KLE Society’s, B.V.B. College of Engineering & Technology, Hubli, Karnataka, India

Dr. M.S. Moodithaya

Director, Institute of Management Studies, NMAM Institute of Technology, Nitte, Nitte, Karnataka, India

Dr. Moodithaya is a Doctrate from Mangalore University and currently the director of the Institute of Management Studies. International Management and Corporate Philanthropy are his areas of interest. He is an IRCA certified QMS Lead Auditor recognised by the Centre for Quality Excellence(UK).

Reviews:

There are currently no reviews of this product.

Write a Review